Friday, November 12, 2010

Foodie Fridays!!! Apple sausage cornbread dressing

This is one of those recipes that I've seen done several different ways on Food Network or the internet, so I can't really give one site credit. My mom makes the best Oyster Dressing. (sadly the website does NOT give credit to LaRue Wilson for her amazing recipe. It was my great grandmother's recipe and she  had it published in Rachel Ray's magazine a couple years ago for a Thanksgiving contest.) I love her dressing, but I don't usually cook with oysters...and since I've had little boys in my house who can't eat shellfish til their 2 for allergy reasons, I just don't buy them...so this is my take on Thanksgiving dressing. I love fall herbs...sage, thyme, parsley and that's one thing I can grow really well all year round, so I really love cooking with them. This recipe uses Mild Italian Sausage, apples, celery, and onion. The flavors just make me think of fall and Thanksgiving and family. I even made a rendition of it when I lived in Romania.

Apple Sausage Cornbread Dressing

1 pound Italian sausage (out of casings)
2-3 small apples chopped
1-2 celery stalks chopped
1 onion chopped
fresh herbs-sage, thyme, parsley
onion powder
salt & pepper
chicken stock
cooked cornbread (9 inch round pan)
butter

In a large skillet, add butter and saute onion and celery. Add sausage and brown. Add apples. Cook a couple minutes til soft. Add herbs, salt and pepper. Break up the cooked cornbread and add to skillet. Add chicken stock...just enough to get it wet. Pour everything into a buttered baking dish. Add a couple pats of butter and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or so til golden. You can add dried cranberries to the skillet to add another hint of Thanksgiving flavor. Enjoy! OK I finally figured this linky thing out...if you want to participate in Foodie Fridays, link up here!

1 comment:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

My dad made this one year and it was excellent. But we're hard core oyster stuffing fans, so that's what we've been having for the past 10 yrs or so. Oh how I love it. :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails