Thursday, July 14, 2011

my favorite salsa recipe to date...

Roasted Serrano and Poblano Salsa
Summer to me starts when I make ice cream and salsa, not together of course! So I am sharing a salsa recipe.
This is by far my favorite salsa experiment. I don't love hot and spicy, but I do like flavorful and it seemed like last year's crop of jalapenos from my dad just kept getting hotter and hotter, so I was giving away jars and jars of salsa and not enjoying much of it.
 I don't think I have ever cooked with Serrano peppers and this recipe definitely changed my mind about them. My uncle lives in the country about an hour away from our new house and came by the other day and left me some goods from his garden...a bag full of tomatoes, some well over ripe, a bag full of peppers and a huge  eggplant. So I worked in my new kitchen and came up with this.

It is so good! A gentle heat on the back of your tongue...just enough for me to enjoy it and not be running for a glass of water!
Recipe
3 poblano peppers
5 serrano peppers
2 onions
2-3 whole garlic cloves (I didn't have any, but you could definitely use it)
10-12 small medium tomatoes
1 can of diced tomatoes (2 cans of water)
olive oil
salt
pepper
parsley
In a large dutch oven, add a couple tablespoons of EVOO. Add all the fresh peppers, tomatoes, and onions. (Wait on the garlic or it will burn.) Let cook and brown, then add canned tomatoes with juice and two cans of water. Now add garlic and seasonings and let come to a boil and simmer til everything is cooked. Add more salt to taste. Put hot mixture in a food processor and pulse til you get the consistency you like. This made four medium sized jars. 
Enjoy!

I'm linking up (finally!!!)
with the following blog parties!

3 comments:

Lynn said...

The salsa sounds great and your pics are fun:@)

Babs said...

Meredith, Your salsa recipe looks and sounds delicious. I'm a big salsa lover and use it to make Salsa Chicken or Pork. Thanks for sharing your recipe. If it ever gets cool, I may make some.I have lots of peppers in the garden.Have a great weekend,
Babs

Miz Helen said...

Hi Meridith,
Your Salsa was worth waiting for! It is a great recipe and I can't wait to try it. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week. Hope you are having a great week end.
Miz Helen

Related Posts with Thumbnails