Friday, March 18, 2016

Zoodles with Homemade Pesto and Chimichurri Sauce

I thought this was really good, but my husband I are the only ones who ate it. My children had meatballs, broccoli and apples, or if you're my two year old girl, broccoli and a little bit of meatball! I can't complain. We try to eat as little grain, dairy, and sugar as possible. This is a really good dish and has none of those. The zoodles are zucchini noodles made using a spiralizer. I do a quick saute in a little olive oil. If you overdue it, they will turn to mush.
The Pesto...I rarely make a traditional pesto because pine nuts are too pricey for our budget. I use what I have and what I like. In my Vitamix, I put 2-3 huge handfuls of fresh basil, a bunch of parsley, 4 garlic cloves, salt, pepper, a handful of pecans, a handful of cashews, a squeeze of lemon, and I streamed olive oil in as it mixed til I liked the consistency. I poured it into two mason jars, so I could make one spicy. To the plain one I added a little salt, pepper, garlic powder, and parsley. To the spicy, I added all that and a few sprinkles of red pepper flakes.
To make this dish, I added 3 big spoonfuls of pesto, tossed it in the zoodles, then added my leftover marinated tomatoes. I made chimichurri sauce the other night and then added tomatoes for a tasty topping for fajita bowls. Chimichurri Sauce it basically a lot of chopped parsley, chopped fresh garlic, a tiny amount of chopped fresh oregano, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, a squeeze of lime, and olive oil.
Fajita Bowl and Tomatoes marinated in Chimichurri Sauce
Chimichurri Sauce

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails