Friday, February 19, 2016

Whole30 Potato Salad and another chicken salad recipe


 Both of these recipes need homemade mayonnaise.  Since I knew I had leftover grilled chicken, I just made a little extra mayo. The chicken salad has a slight Mediterranean flavor with the added cucumbers and oregano. It was really, really good. The potato salad is more of a play on an old fashioned favorite with pickles and celery. I am almost finished with Whole30. I did have a small cheat Valentine's weekend and like many have said, the cookie just wasn't really that good. I am happy with looser pants and buttoning a once very tight shirt all the way up. My feet have stopped hurting and I will see my cardiologist next week to talk about different blood pressure medications. I know I am doing my heart a huge favor by cutting out processed foods.   
Since I knew I wanted to make two recipes, I just did the work once...chopped onions and celery for both recipes and cucumbers for the chicken and pickles for the potato. 
 Potato Salad
2 small bags of red potatoes (about 10-12), cut in chunks, par boiled, and then roasted*
2 stalks of celery cut on the diagonal
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
8-10 small garlic dill pickles (check your labels for sugar) sliced
Whole grain mustard
Homemade Mayo
1 tbs parsley
1 t dill
salt and pepper
 1 tbs garlic powder

In a large bowl, add celery, onions, and pickles. Add a good squeeze or spoonful of mustard. Stir everything. *For the potatoes, oar boil them in a large pot til fork tender, but not able to cut through. Drain water and put potatoes on a sheet pan. Add Olive oil, parsley, garlic powder and s&p. Toss and roast in 375 oven til golden. I tossed mine once during cooking time. It took about 12 minutes. 
Add mayo and dill to the mixing bowl. Stir and then add a spoon of the hot potatoes to warm up the mayo. Add the rest of the potatoes and stir. Keep refrigerated til ready to eat. At least an hour. 

Mediterranean Chicken Salad

Grilled chicken breast, diced
2 stalks of celery cut on the diagonal
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 small cucumber, diced
Homemade Mayo
1 tbs parsley
1 t dill
1 t oregano
salt and pepper
1 tbs garlic powder

Put everything in a large mixing bowl (as long as the chicken is cooled. If not, add a little chicken to warm the mayo, then add the rest.) and stir. Keep refrigerated til ready to serve.


I'm joining 

1 comment:

Miz Helen said...

I love these salads, I am so ready for springtime salads! Hope you are having a great day and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Related Posts with Thumbnails